Thursday, May 3, 2012

Starting at the beginning a great set of tools...more than a butter knife

Why the name Handy Ma'am?  Simple,  I am handy and I am a woman.   Affectionately my husband calls me his general contractor.  I proudly accept that title.
My interests are many, but the one thing I love is to repair and remodel.  My home mostly.  My friends' homes too.  My husband and I have a few investment properties  all of which need repairs.
I often have paint in my hair or plaster in my hands when I pick my kids up from school.
Many people ask me so what project are you working on now?  Some are for fun,  some are for repairs. But my house is done (mostly), and I'm in between projects, so what better project then to tell all women, and men that home improvement is not only easy but can be really fun.  Most of all remodel projects are rewarding when you can stand back and say "I did that".   Some projects don't need a costly contractor...some do.  So before you hire someone to repair a faucet, rewire a light switch, change out a door.  Know that you too can  put down new flooring,  tile  a bathroom or repair drywall.

Starting at the beginning  to me is making sure you have the right tools for the project.  Really, how many of you have used a butter knife to tighten a screw?  I'm not saying don't be resourceful, frankly I've used a knife, a paperclip or anything else that would work when I needed to. I've used a shoe and a coffee mug for a hammer in a pinch.  I am saying there are basics you need for home improvement to go smoothly and so much faster.  So let's start there.

Here is a list of tools that will help.  They are all available at any home improvement store really.  I have my favorites but these stores are in my town  and I go where I can get the most help and where the improvement experts will give the best advice.  I like Home Depot,  they have it all and I'm in there enough that they know me by name.  I like Lowes and I think they just have a different selection...they also know me by name.  Fred Meyer (Koger),  Target, Ace Hardware,  all have small areas you can pick up the basics.  I do like to go where people know my name and I know theirs.  I sometimes even help people in the stores, and have been offered a job more than once!  So now I can help people with projects for real.
You will acquire new tools with each  project.  I will say my favorite is my air compressor with many different attachments,  it has made decking and molding a very easy,  but not necessary to start your tool box.
With every project I will list the tools to use...and maybe a butter knife for fun.

Tools you will need to start with:

-Hammer
-Screwdriver flat and philips heads
-Pliers
-Vice Grip pliers; these hold the object very tight,  like when you need to pull a staple out of the floor
-Pipe wrench;  for a leaky pipe
-Wire cutters and strippers
-A set of wrenches,  helpful to tighten nuts,  like at the base of a toilet.  Also for replacing hoses under            your sink.
-Socket wrenches, also tighten nuts but do a lot of the work for you.
-A cordless drill with a set of drill bits.  Not only can you make holes but you can use it as a power screwdriver too.

Supplies to have on hand:

-Duct tape- I use it more for holding things tight.  Like my dryer hose or a new shower door rail.  This is a multi us tape though that my daughter will testify too.  She makes wallets, bags and flip flops out of it.
-Painters tape-  so useful, low residue and worth the time for use to save your floor or carpet.  It makes painting stripes perfect and straight.
-Pipe tape-  used when replacing faucet hoses, sinks and shower heads.  Really it give the seal you need to stop leaks.  Make sure you wrap it clockwise.  Then it won't unwrap as you put you pipes together.
-Wire nuts-  these screw two wires together,  like when you switch out a light or a light switch.
-Dry wall screws- to hold heavier objects in drywall when a stud is not available.  Splurge on the ones that screw into the wall seriously one of the better inventions in products, no drilling, no mess.
-Simple set of nuts, bolts, screw, nails etc.  These are on the "nail" isle at most stores but really will save time and a ton of money when you have an assortment.

Not a long list but a solid set will make projects go smoother,  happy shopping.












No comments:

Post a Comment