Friday, May 4, 2012

Tiling is my favorite!

It is not rare that my husband will come home from work and find something torn apart, or torn down.  Our home now was built in 1972 so lots of orange and painted bricks when we moved in.  My  first project was to cover the  fireplace in our living room with travertine tiles.  I'm all for sticking to architectural integrity but really wood paneling in the middle of white faux brick really just needed to go.
So without hesitation I grabbed a sledge hammer ( a useful tool for breaking things) and a masonry saw blade for my circular saw and tore it apart the ugly old brick.  I really think tiling is my favorite.  I might tile everything if I could floors, walls, counters, pugs.  I love it because its like a puzzle you get to create.  It's easy and requires time and a bit of patients.  You can transform a 70"s Brady fire place into an updated cozy focal point of the room.  Oh did I mention there was another funky fire place downstairs too.  I covered this one the same way only with ceramic tiles.

As with any tile project I will say "use a saw"  really scoring and scoring then snapping tile is like trying to cut down a fir tree with a bread knife.  My husband would say use the big chain saw for sure. 
You will save time either renting or buying a saw.  You can get a small tile saw with a 4" blade at
Home Depot or Lowes for around $50.00.  If I'm tiling a lot of larger piece's I rent a big wet saw, this seriously cuts down on time and missed cuts.

To tile over brick you first have to cover the brick with metal mesh.  This is easily done with masonry screws  and you just wrap the brick and screw it on.  I have a great pair of heavy tin snips that cuts the mesh very easily.

You will need:
-Mortar- buy the pre-mixed and save you hand held blender for cake.  Besides it's the right consistency.
-Tile of you choice- These are 12x12 travertine.  The other fire place tiles are large ceramic.
-Grout-  you can mix this if you like.  Use you blender to mix this for sure,  or you could get the mixing attachment for your power drill.  I really just think is funny to use a mixer, so I do.
-Notched trowel- to spread the mortar
-Grout float-  this spread the grout between the joints
-Spacers- these are important to make certain you lines are straight and you have perfect 90 degree joints.  I am a fan of small grout lines but its a personal preference.
-Sponge- to wipe the grout
-Level-super important for the first row
-Tape measure
-Sharpie
-Eye protection....always when you are cutting stuff


1.  After you mesh is on spread a scratch coat of mortar over the mesh with the flat side of your trowel.  This is the surface the tile will adhere to.
2.  This has to dry  about 24 hours
3.  Use your level  to mark your first row
4.  Measure the height and width  to find the layout with the easiest cuts
5.  Spread a layer mortar to cover about a quarter of the project area.  You have to let it set up just a bit, then take the notched side of the trowel and scrape it along the mortar.  This gives the tile something to hold on to.
6.  Start laying the tiles.  If you are doing a vertical surface start at the bottom.  Then the other tiles have a place to rest.  Put spacers in between.  I always us a few to make certain they stay level.
7.  And repeat....use your measure tape and the sharpie to mark your cuts.
8.  After you are done.  Allow it to dry for 24 hours.
9.  Next you grout.  Mix up your grout in a bucket.  Seriously its supposed to be like peanut butter.
this also has to set up a bit around 10 min or so.
10. Spread it in the joints to create your grout line.  You use the rubber/spongy grout float for this.  Hold it at a 45 degree angle it spreads in more evenly.
11.  Let it set a bit (look at the directions on the box for set up time,  they vary)
12.  Wipe with a wet sponge.  Removing all excess grout.
13.  Let this set 24 hours then seal the grout with grout sealer.


 Congratulations you have just tiled a vertical surface.   Now you can do a back splash or a shower:)
Tiling is fun and easy.  It takes a few days for it to finish but  what a difference.


What's next?  Tile flooring.





No comments:

Post a Comment